Every day a large amount of information is created and managed in companies, generally, this information is stored in documents and these go directly to local hard drives or are shared by email. Especially the real estate agencies are dealing with a huge amout of documentation on daily basis.
SharePoint 2013 natively contains the necessary features to have an advanced document management system, which will increase the productivity of people and consequently the competitiveness of the company.
Although SharePoint has a multitude of functionalities and tools available, one of the most used is document management, with some people even thinking that SharePoint is exclusively a document manager, nothing is further from the truth. It happens mostly when you are trying to work just with the most necessary thing to manage on SharePoint and do not have the knowledge about how you can use this online platform for maximum output.
This is where Microsoft consulting firm come into play, Al Rafay Consulting being one of these experts knows how to use the multiple features of SharePoint to the best of their potential to make them the most beneficial for your working needs and productivity. We will describe here some of the possibilities that we have when working with this Microsoft tool.
Features of SharePoint other than Document Management:
We will start by indicating that SharePoint allows the creation of multiple document libraries, depending on the needs of the business it is possible to have independent repositories by Management, Divisions, Departments, Areas or Types of documents. In addition, especially as real estate solution providers, we can organize each library in folders and subfolders, in a similar way to how we organize documents in our operating system.
- With SharePoint 2013 it is very easy to upload documents to a library, with the new drag & drop functionality, just drag a document and it is immediately stored in the system.
- The document libraries allow you to activate versioning, with this it is possible to have complete traceability of the document. Since its creation, all or a certain number of versions are stored, being able to quickly review or recover previous states.
- It allows creating Office documents directly from the library, in the case of SharePoint Online, it is not even necessary to have Office installed on the local computer, thanks to the Office Web App it is possible to create Office documents directly in the browser and store them in SharePoint libraries.
- Like all SharePoint lists, document libraries can be customized with Metadata fields, this allows you to add additional information to the documents that will later allow you to better organize, search, filter and view the stored information.
- The documents can be organized by Views, which allows you to display, for example, groups of files ordered by year/month or client/project, displaying only the information that is relevant to the user and avoiding having to navigate through a huge list of documents. That is mostly recommended as a part of real estate solutions because of their working with a huge amount of important documentation.
- When there are pre-established document formats in the company, such as standard reports, presentations or spreadsheets, SharePoint offers the possibility of uploading document templates that can then be used by users to create documents with the predefined structure without necessarily having those formats. on your local computer.
Each library can be configured with its own document approval flow.
User access levels can be easily configured through SharePoint groups, with this we can define that some users can upload, edit, delete or update elements, while others can only view.
- Users can set alerts to be informed about changes to the library, such as deletion, modification, or upload of new files. These alerts arrive directly to the user’s email and it is possible to configure them so that the notification is immediate or a daily or weekly summary of the changes made.
- SharePoint 2013 has many features of Social Networks, some of which can be applied to stored documents, such as document tracking, user tagging, adding comments on documents of interest or sharing a file in SharePoint itself or through OneDrive for Business.
- The search is easy and intuitive, it allows you to filter results by multiple variables, such as metadata, types of documents, sites or other characteristics. In addition, the search results show a preview of the document without having to open it, with this we can quickly know if we are dealing with what we are really looking for.
As you can see, there are many options, here we have only listed the main ones and, without a doubt, their final structure will depend on the specific needs of each client. If you want more out of it then hire some professional SharePoint consulting services.
Also Read About: Revamp Traditional Business Processes with Innovative Custom SharePoint Development Services
At Al Rafay Consulting, we support you in choosing the SharePoint plan that best suits your reality, we carry out the consultancy to properly implement your Document Management system and we accompany you throughout the process of adopting the tool and the management of the necessary change for the effective use by users.